nv charts Region 4.1 Long Island South and New Jersey - 2012 ed.
New York / Shinnecock to Cape May: 3 passage 35 coastal raster charts
This nv charts collection, produced by Nautical Publications, is especially made with the requirements of the advanced yachtsman in mind. These brilliant, high-color raster charts have these features and benefits:
iNavX app displaying a raster chart from Fugawi.com on an Apple iPad
These nv charts digital raster charts are for use with iOS®, or Android® software including:
How to download and view these charts
Tip: Read these instructions on a computer screen as you follow along, tap by tap, in the iNavX app on your iOS device
Tap on the menu Charts | Account (or More... | Account).
Enter your Fugawi.com account's email + password; tap Login.
On the My Charts tab, select your subscribed nv charts title.
Tap Download Chart List; answer Yes to the prompts.
Select any desired chart; answer Yes to the download prompt.
The detailed instructions below assume...
- a few minutes of reasonable quality Internet connection, preferably via home based Wi-Fi
- iNavX 5 was purchased / updated via the iTunes App Store
- this chart subscription was purchased once granting 365 days of chart downloads / updates / restorations for two iPad units
- From any charts screen of iNavX, tap Charts in the upper-left corner and then Account.
- Enter your Fugawi account's Email and case sensitive Password.
Tap the Login button and OK to the success prompt.
Help note #1 - if you see the "Forbidden" error...
When the Account page of NavX issues the "Forbidden" error, most likely you need to carefully re-enter the password correctly or create a new easier password. Tip: a reliable, handy password composed of only numbers (0-9) and case-sensitive letters (a-z / A-Z) may save you trouble.
- The screen refreshes and should go to the My Charts tab. (Ignore the Store tab for this Fugawi.com purchase.)
Find your subscribed nv charts title in the list and tap on it.
Help note #2 - if this chart title not listed...
Should your subscribed chart title not appear, go back to Account, log out, re-enter the Fugawi email + password, then login again. This should force the chart title to list under My Charts. Another way: slowly finger drag the "NOAA" gray colored title bar downwards for a few seconds, then release to refresh the screen.
- Tap Download Chart List.
Answer Yes to the prompt for updating and Yes to activate the subscription to this one licensed iOS device.
Help note #3 - Refresh = delete previous chart downloads...
After activating and downloading the master chart list, the top-most option changes to Refresh Chart List. Since refreshing deletes all old charts in memory, you must refresh only when good Internet access is available. If a chart subscription is expired, an attempt to refresh will invite you to purchase an additional or renewed subscription.
- From the presented list of chart names, tap any one chart you wish to download.
Help note #4 - if chart list seems short, missing regions...
Have the Magnifying Glass icon selected in the top-right corner to reveal the full list of all possible chart regions in the collection. (See illustration below.) The other filter options shorten the list but do not delete chart regions.
- Tap the red Yes button to confirm your wish to download the chart.
Alternatively, tap the lower button Yes, All nv charts... to download every chart region in the collection in one large batch taking several minutes. This is not recommended if you have a relatively slow Internet connection and/or the app reports error messages when trying to download charts.
A percentage indicator shows the download progress; the chart files are typically a few tens of Kilobytes (KB) and should take seconds to download.
Help note #5 - if you see "invalid import" error...
One possible fix is to (i) turn off 3G/4G cellular Internet connectivity and use only quality Wi-Fi, preferably not Wi-Fi via virtual private networking or heavily firewalled connections or 4G-to-WiFi access points; and (ii) tap Refresh Chart List to get a fresh start at downloading any regions in the collection, starting with whatever single region was problematic before.
- Assuming all or most of the charts in a collection have been downloaded, you may notice broad scale charts have multiple red bounded chart insets; tap on an inset polygon to bring up a pop-up dialog from which you may tap on any chart name listed at the bottom of the dialog. Else, you need to return to the main chart list and pick a smaller scale chart from there.
- Help-note #6: To prevent the chart from leaping away to your current GPS position (which may be blank, outside the chart's boundaries) tap the Settings icon in the upper-right corner. Configure the option Pos Icon Loc (position icon at location) to None, which removes the boat icon and auto-centering on GPS location. But when you go back to actively navigating, set this to CTR (center at GPS) to see the boat icon.
- Help-note #7: If this chart subscription is expired, the app will be unable to update or re-download the charts after a device memory reset. You may renew the chart subscription at a reduced price depending on current available discounts and promotions. Or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for consultation on the status of your subscriptions.
An illustrated version of these instructions is given in Fugawi knowledgebase article PT16008.
- In PathAway Pro (v 6.03.05.04 or higher), tap the main menu then Maps | Import | Fugawi/X-Traverse Maps.
If prompted to login, change from the PathAway account to Fugawi/X-Traverse, enter your Email and Password login information (same as your Fugawi.com login) and tap Login.
- After a pause for downloading a list of in-subscription chart titles, examine the drop-down list and select this nv charts product title.
Tip: If No Maps is the only drop-down list item, it may help to do this: tap on the main menu | Settings | My Accounts; tap Logout, re-select Fugawi/X-Traverse, re-enter your account Email and Password, tap Login. Finally, return to Maps | Import and refresh the drop-down list.
- Tap the Activate Product option and answer Yes to the confirmation prompt.
- From the fetched list of individual charts, select one.
Tip: To multi-select, tap the Select button in the lower left corner; then check mark along the right-hand edge all individual charts to be downloaded.
- A pop-up dialog appears; tap the Download Map option.
- Going forward, view any chart by tapping Maps | Custom Maps, select any chart name with a check mark beside it; from the pop-up dialog, tap Show.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Does a paper-based or app-based chart product from nv charts have an equivalent free or discounted chart download from the Fugawi.com service?
A: Before October 2016, the old X-Traverse promotional offer provided a free download matching a purchased nv charts paper kit. No such offer is available at the time of this writing but such deals may resume in the future -- we will announce any such promotions on our Fugawi Facebook page. And, of course, Fugawi.com/charts is pleased to sell you a wide range of nv charts regions.
Q: What happens when a chart subscription expires? Do the charts disappear?
A: Whatever charts you downloaded stay resident in device memory indefinitely available for planning, navigation, etc. The chart's subscription status matters when you wish to download new chart updates, or when a device's memory is reset, or a new device comes into service; you may wish to renew your subscription or buy a new edition year of the same chart area in these cases. Occasionally, technical issues concerning low free memory, iOS updates, app updates, etc. may cause unexpected issues for retaining charts; in such a case, contact email@example.com as the first source of consultation on resolving such issues.
Q: How do I transfer these charts to other devices or computers?
A: You do not transfer chart files from device to device, not as such. What happens is you use a spare chart subscription to activate to a new target device with its compatible charting app; just download a fresh copy of the chart files to that secondary device. If you are out of subscription range or have exceeded the normal 2 device license limit, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for options.
Q: Can I share charts with other apps such as the nv charts branded software?
A: No, generally charts in one app are licensed locked to that app. Other apps, generally, can not reach into another app's store of charts and borrow them.
Q: Do the chart files get backed up to a computer via USB synchronization? or to external drives?
A: No, the chart files are digital-rights locked to a specific device / computer. Charts do not backup and restore other than through a re-download via Internet connection to the Fugawi.com web service.
Q: How often are the charts updated?
A: Usually a given chart collection is updated two or three times in the edition year. Sometimes another update is produced in the following year if no formal new edition is published in paper. Fugawi sends out emails to all chart subscribers when an update is ready. Update file wholly replace old files. Any corrections for charts are passed along to nv charts cartography team.
Q: If I update the charts (thereby deleting old versions) do my waypoints and routes get erased?
A: No, that is not a concern. Waypoints and routes are always stored quite apart from any chart even though they visually hover on top of chart graphics. Mind you, charting software always has export options for waypoints and routes, so you would do well to exporting archives of your data once in a while.
Q: The charts are not seamless; how do I transition from one chart to a chart in an adjacent geographic area?
A: For iNavX... What always works (but is not always convenient) is to return to the master charts list and look for the next chart over based on chart name and/or number. However, if an overview scale chart shows sub-charts as red rectangular outlines, tap on the rectangle to see if the sub-chart is offered along with other query data.
For other software... Read the help menu materials provided by the software under the topic of "auto-loading" or "adjacent charts" or other similar phrases.
Q: How can I get advice and technical support?
A: Email email@example.com for fast custom responses (Monday to Friday) providing expert support on chart purchase advice, subscription information, download help / error message resolution, and GPS accessories suggestions. We will refer you to iNavX ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) or PathAway ( support forum) for issues centered on the features and functions of those charting apps.