Junior Full Stack Software Developer - Innovative Ruby on Rails Applications
Our Toronto team is looking to hire a bright person who has a year or three of experience and who would like to skill up as an RoR full stack developer.
You will be working with and learning from a seasoned and highly effective team of RoR full stack, mobile, C++ and C# developers who will depend on the web services you build. You will be working directly on the design and deployment of scalable applications.
While previous exposure to RoR is not a requirement, we are looking for someone who can easily demonstrate excellent logical thinking, understands deeply the principles of OOD, can author and document well-structured code, has good mathematical ability, and who is truly motivated to become a productive full-stack developer within a friendly team environment.
Experience with server, network, and hosting environments is a plus. Experience with database design and applications is an asset.
You should have a B.Sc. or higher in computer science, engineering, mathematics, physics, or comparable with one to three years of software development experience.
Who are we?
Johnson Outdoors turns ideas into adventure with innovative, market-leading outdoor recreational products designed, manufactured and marketed by nearly 1,300 employees across 16 countries. The company’s award-winning innovation is fueled by a unique passion for the outdoors, coupled with sophisticated market research and cutting-edge technology, to advance a continuous pipeline of successful new products across four categories: Fishing, Watercraft, Outdoor Gear and Diving. The Toronto office develops cartography products, web services, and mobile software for the Humminbird brand. Humminbird brand products are manufactured by the Fishing Group of Johnson Outdoors (Nasdaq: JOUT) with several locations in the USA and Canada.
Some projects you may be working on:
- Developing core modular engines and algorithms to intelligently automate web services
- Designing, deploying and testing RESTful APIs with versioning for initial consumption by front end clients
- Integration framework for connecting to a variety of web mapping and mobile services
- Working directly with management, the existing engineering team, and customers to gather business requirements and distill them into a specification
- Programming Languages: Demonstrably effective capability with at least one Object-Oriented programming language a must, some experience with SQL, Ruby on Rails, Angular.js, etc. a benefit
- Database skills: Experience with SQL (e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL, MariaDB) and NoSQL (e.g. MongoDB, OrientDB,) databases an asset
- Some background, interest or aptitude relating to security and/or DRM would be an asset
- Experience: 1-3 years
- Education: Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, mathematics, physics or equivalent
Some more details:
- Job start date: As soon as possible
- Terms of employment: full time
- Benefits: medical, dental, cash profit share, deep employee discount on Johnson Outdoors products
- Working in our spacious, modern, open-plan office in creative Old Toronto (Richmond and Sherbourne area)
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.